I have finally finished the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and I was so happy to find out that Melinda, the protagonist finally stood up to Andy about what he did at the party and how he was wrong. That's the most Melinda has spoken throughout the whole book!
During the book, Andy told Melinda and I quote, "You have a big mouth, you know it? Rachel blew me off at the prom, giving me some bullshit story about how I raped you. You know that's a lie. I never raped anybody. I don't have to. You wanted it just as bad as I did. But your feelings got hurt, so you started spreading lies, and now every girl in school is talking about me like I,m some kind of pervert. You've been spreading that bullshit story for weeks. What's wrong, ugly, you jealous? Can't get a date?" The part that made me certain that Melinda wasn't lying was when Andy told her not to scream when he covered her mouth. He told her that she liked it....
Melinda belched a big "NOOOOO!!!!!!"
She actually used self-defense by taking a piece of glass and holding it against his neck. He didn't do anything after that. :)
Something I learned from this book was that if you are having a problem with someone, then stick up for yourself! If you stand up to the person or use self-defence if they touch you, then that person will back off.
I liked how you brought the story to real life saying if you had a problem in real life you should just stick up for yourself and it is a great piece of advice for our world today.
ReplyDeletei liked your vocabulary, such as the words belched, protagonist and other words. I liked the how you explained the story well.
ReplyDeleteI like how you wrote how you learned something from the text! Great connection and great post!!
ReplyDelete